Maca (Lepidium Meyenii) is a root from the radish family grown primarily in the Andes mountain range (Peru). Maca superfood is famous for being the highest elevation crop in the world. Can you see how something so strong it can survive and thrive at 15,000 feet might have some great effect on your body? Maca is not only one of my Top Ten Superfoods, it may just be the most important as well.
Maca how I love thee, let me count the ways!
1. Hormone balance – We are having an epidemic (in the entire world) of estrogen dominance. This is primarily due to GMO Soy products and plastic water bottles. As far as I can tell, maca is the #1 food for hormone balance in the world. This is such and important topic, soon I will have a full article on it.
2. Hello libido – Maca is known as a natural aphrodisiac. Don’t be surprised if you start feeling a little somethin’ somethin’ when you start taking this powder. Many people take it for this reason alone.
3. Energy – Maca is an “adaptogenic” that should give you amazing energy. The pure kind of energy like you had when you were a kid. Maca is a great replacement for coffee, and mixed with raw cacao it makes one of the most fantastic shakes you will ever have.
4. Nutrition – Maca contains 10% protein, nearly 20 amino acids, and 7 essential amino acids. It is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur and iron, and contains trace minerals, including zinc, iodine, copper, selenium, bismuth, manganese and silica, as well as vitamins B1, B2, C and E.
5. Weight management – For many people, weight gain is caused by thyroid or hormone problems. Since maca is great for both, you may see dramatic weight gain or loss depending on what your perfect balance is. This may must be the cheapest weight loss products on the planet.
6. Brain food – Maca is a natural brain food supporting your neurochemistry. It is also proven to fight depression. So maybe you can go natural and stay off the Meds.
Caution: I would NOT recommend taking the capsules unless it is a source you really trust. For some reason, I have seen many more complaints from people using capsules than from taking the raw powder (about 90% more).
Caution 2: Start slow. Take as little as a half teaspoon to start. Maca is very powerful (awesome I say) product. Work your way up to one tablespoon, and take a few days off every week or so. I do not recommend taking it every day (even though I want to). Some of the negative effects are really just cleansing. So drink plenty of liquids the first few days.
How to take maca:
My favorite way to take maca is in a morning smoothie. As maca can really give you an energy boost, I do not recommend taking it in the afternoon or evening unless you plan on staying up (nod nod, wink wink). You can drink it cold or hot, although if you drink it hot, try to leave the water just below boiling.
Things to mix with it:
- Raw Cacao (chocolate)
- Raw honey, stevia, or maple syrup (or all 3)
- Banana (organic of course)
- Avocado (yep, I said it)
You can use any type of water or milk. I prefer raw milk, but organic milk, hemp milk, almond milk, etc… is fine. Just read your labels. Many “milk” products contain things you may not be aware of.
I am working on a Maca/Cacao powder of my own. After seeing its effects on myself, friends and family, I am a true believer.
There are many great Maca superfood products on the market. I can verify that Maca Magic really made me feel amazing. So if you want to see if Maca is for you, perhaps try it first. I have an Amazon link to it on this page. I try to add all my favorites to the page, so try them all.
Please send me your feedback on Maca Superfood. I would love to hear your thoughts.