Top Ten Superfoods
I would like to dedicate this article on the top ten superfoods to David Avocado Wolfe. I am not sure if he invented the term superfood, but we certainly would not have known about them if not for all his work over the past 15+ years.
My list includes a few non-vegan choices. I believe David would agree that these added foods belong on this list. I will also add a few ways to combine them to make the best superfood drinks on the planet.
Here are my Top Ten Superfoods:
1. Chocolate (Raw Cacao) – NO, not a Snickers bar! Organic Raw Chocolate is the most chemically complex food I know about. It is higher in antioxidants than blueberries or grapes. It is one of the best sources of vitamin C, and #1 in Iron, Copper, Chromium and Magnesium. It is very high in Zinc, which can be hard to find. Having chocolate in your diet would be worth it for that reason alone. There are countless other benefits to raw chocolate, including the fact it just makes us happy!
Processed chocolate, although still good for you in some ways, is filled with toxins as well. I DARE you to read the labels on most chocolate bars at the store. They are also cooked, which turns the omega 6 fatty acids rancid. When at all possible, get your chocolate raw.
2. Goji Berries – According to David Wolfe, Goji Berries are the #1 thing in Chinese medicine (food or herb). This berry has it all! It is high in vitamins B, C & E. Supports a healthy immune system,liver and heart. It is well known for helping people to live long, vibrant lives.
I recommend getting a bag of Heaven Mountain Goji Berries as soon as you can. Eat a hand-full every day. The bag will last you a month, and you will feel fantastic.
3. Maca – Grown in the South American Andes, Maca is the highest elevation crop in world. It is high in vitamins B1, B2, C, and E. It sports over 20 fatty acids and amino acids as well.
This amazing root is well known for it’s hormone balancing power. I recommend everyone use Maca twice a week to balance estrogen and testosterone levels. You will feel the difference on day one. For more information, see my newest article Maca Superfood.
4. Raw Milk – This Superfood is filled to the brim with awesome vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids.
There is simply no comparison between today’s pasteurized homogenized, sterile, hormone laden, GMO fed milk and the greatness of whole RAW MILK.
Please read my article on the Benefits of Raw Milk. There is just nothing quite like it on earth. Try it one morning (by itself) and see why this is #4 on my list of top ten superfoods.
I am not asking you to do anything illegal, some states ban the sale of real milk. I go into that in the above article.
5. Raw Honey – The world’s most nutritious sweetener! Raw Honey is loaded with The vitamins and minerals and amino acids which differ depending on floral variety. They include niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. It is both an antioxidant and Antimicrobial. Oh, and it tastes great too.
I recommend buying a good wild honey. Perhaps mix the floral content each time so you get the best of all worlds.
Caution: That honey you buy in a typical grocery store is probably NOT HONEY AT ALL! Get your honey from a reputable source.
Also, there is more to bee products than just honey. Mix in some bee pollen and some royal jelly to your mix. They would be on here, but I didn’t have room if we were going to stick with just the top ten superfoods. So just figure them all as one, 3 portion mega-food.
6. Raw Eggs – Deep inside, you have always known raw eggs are awesome for you. They contain an abundance of goodies such as
vitamins A, D and E, are high in protein, essential fatty acids, niacin, magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, sulphur, and phosphorous. WOW, in one egg?
Caution: I am talking farm fresh, free range hens here. If they are eating GMO feed, you are getting GMO eggs. Also, Chickens are not vegetarians. They eat worms and bugs (and dirt) which also contributes to their health. Vege-Fed is not natural, so don’t buy into it.
I understand the thought of eating a raw egg is unpleasant to some. Just mix it up in my famous Raw Chocolate Shake. You won’t even know it is in there, until you find yourself at the top of a mountain going, I FEEL GREAT!
The salmonella lie! If you are buying good quality (small farm, free range, organic fed) eggs, the chance of salmonella poisoning is very rare. only sick chickens lay salmonella contaminated eggs. Just be careful where you get your food. That goes for everything you eat.
7. Aloe Vera – I bet you had no idea Aloe Vera was more than just for burns. This amazing superfood is packed with nutrition. It contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E. All 8 essential amino acids (and many of the secondaries). It has a variety of minerals from calcium to zinc.
One of the main and often overlooked benefits of aloe vera is what are called polysaccharides. These are long burning carbohydrates which lubricate the brain, nervous system and skin.
8. Marine phytoplankton – The basis of life on earth. The single most important reason to consume marine phytoplankton is that it contains long chain omega 3 fatty acids. It is becoming harder and harder to obtain clean sources of this very important nutrient. It is also rich in chlorophyll, contains all the essential amino acids, and is high in B-12 and antioxidants.
Note to Vegans ~ We beg you to find a good source of long chain omega 3 fatty acids in your diet (flax does not have it). It may take 2 years or more to start feeling the effects of a deficiency, but it can be catastrophic to your health.
9. Hempseed – Few people are aware that hempseed is high in protein, contains all the essential fatty acids and amino acids. It is also high in good fats, brain building lecithin and chlorophyll. Just that alone would qualify hempseed as a superfood. But it has also been found to contain phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, zinc and iron!
It is so easy to add hempseed to your diet. Just throw it in your superfood or green smoothie. Hempseed may be the perfect way to start adding our top ten superfoods to your daily routine.
Once the seed has been turned to oil, it must be preserved away from sunlight and air.
10. Spirulina – Pure green protein! Spirulina is very high in digestible protein. This is very important for people trying to get away from eating meat. It contains all 8 essential amino acids, b-12, antioxidants, Beta-Carotene, and the all important omega-3 fatty acids.
Please give me your feedback on our Top Ten Superfoods. Do you agree with out choices? Have you tried them all? Please let me know, this list is not set in stone.